Mittwoch, 17. Juli 2013

Lilaste to Pärnu, or roadkill day and why are the roads so much better paved in Estonia

Welllllll.... Maybe some of you have noted that I am in Pärnu a full day to early? Why is that? Well, skating just felt super nive the last two days, so I did around 70km yesterday, and around 80km today. Yeaaaah, just keep the wheels spinning! And it was very exciting too! First I got ripped of at the "Baron von Münchhausen" museum that I passed and spontaneusly entered. Then the roadkill began. First there was what I presumably identified to be a big dog without colar, which got freshly hit, according to the still wet blood and guts. I didn't dare to go closer though, in case it was still alive and angry. Next was a beautyfull owl which was reduced to a clump with beautifull feathers, and last I passed a stork. After I took a photo, I saw that it was still breathing and struggling to get away from the street. I then took my slidegloves and the longboard, secured its beak with one hand and carefully lifted it onto the longboard with the other hand. I then carried it into the forrest into the shade, put him in a position where I assumed it would best be able to get up again, and poured it some water into his beak from my bottle, which it, judging from the swallowing movement, drank. I hope he either recovered or then was able to die in peace without having heavy traffic passing by its head as the last thing to see. And last there were estimaded 3000 frogs, all very flat and sometimes so dense that it was difficult to drive around them.  Kind of stirred me up that day.
Then today, on the other hand, was very nice. I entered Estonia in the morning, after a last short stretch of shitty pavement, and as soon as I crossed the border, there was smooth riding on spotless pavement. Nice. Also less traffic, the air smelled either from the sea or from wild strawberries which are ripe now, depending on where the wind was comming from. And I just skated on and on and on and on, until I realised, that when I would just skate a little while more (ah, who got the joke?) I would be in Pärnu. So I did that.
Tomorrow I will check out Pärnu and plan the route in Estonia.
Bye
Robert

1 Kommentar:

  1. So sad, all the dead animals near the road :-(. We've seen a lot of them on our holiday in the west of USA, even a dead moose! Enjoy your trip, it's very interesting to read your blog! Liebe Gruess, Andrea (vom Studium, mir händ zäme das Projekt uf de Flachdächer gmacht)

    AntwortenLöschen