Montag, 22. Juli 2013

Pärnu to Muhu Island

This was interesting. The weather was changing superfast, so that I had to wear sunglasses and would still get rained on heavily every half an hour. Plus there where heavy headwinds. I have to say I always underestimated headwinds, just thought they make it a little harder but not significantly. Well, I was wrong. You push like a madman, and make about the same speed as a pedestrian. And if you stop pushing for a few seconds, you will start going backwards. Thats anoying! But at least the pavement was good, brandnew and smooth, that is until it stopped. The pavement. This rather big and heavy used street just turns into a dirtroad all of a sudden in the middle of nowhere! I had to accept defeat and for the first time tried to hitch a ride. And it worked! I got picked up by a traveling saussage salesman with no knowledge of english whatsoever. But as I pronounced the name of the city I wanted to go, where I assumed the street would be paved again, correctly, we where able to figure things out. From time to time we would stop to sell some saussages, and hell they smelled tasty. In the end, I got one for myself as well.
I was then able to skate onto the ferry to Muhu Island, and almost got blown off the skateboard when exiting it on Muhu Island. Working north through the headwind, I wanted to see some cliffs, when it happened again! The pavement just ends! Aargh! Back to the mainroad then. Now turning west, to a small port called Koguva, wind coming from the side and making it difficult to keep going straight.
And that was lucky coincidence, Koguva is super nice. Quite a small town, just a few, very well kept old fishermen cottages, and a very very small harbour. And a harbour café. I entered and felt home right away. Super small, just a kitchen with a few places at the kitchenbar, a very sympathetic couple that owns it, and the smell of freshly baked cake in the air. Nice. I talked a little with the two, and apparently they own some coffee roasting facilities as well. Have to admit, the coffee was damn good. When I mentioned that I was looking for a spot to camp, they offered me to camp in the little forrest beside the harbour, as that was harbour property as well. Did so, searched a nice spot and pitched down my tarp really carefully, as a storm was forecasted for the night.
A good sleep later, I just got out of the tent, when I am startled by heavy breathing approaching me fast, and the crackling of branches. What the hell? Seconds later a male roe deer runs towards me, misses me by about a meter and continues into the shrubs behind me... Few minutes later the same game again, from the same direction. What are they running from? Well, I had planed to go to the café again for breakfast, so I packed my stuff and left the deers alone.
Fresh baked cake for breakfast, yum.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen